Friday, February 18, 2011

Quinoa...Q and A

Q:  Quinoa, What are you?
A:  Some people think I am a whole grain. Actually, I am closely related to the beet and spinach and tumble weed family.  Quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods.[10] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.[10]


Q:  Where did you come from?
A:  I originated in the Andean region of South America.

Q: Why do you need to be rinsed?
A;  I have a built in system that protects my seeds from being eaten by the birds.  I create a waxy surface (called saponin)over my seeds (that apparently look like bird seed)... this waxy surface prevents the birds from eating my crops.  I would recommend for the novice to buy me, pre rinsed...and if you can't find me rinsed; learn how to rinse me well, so that I won't taste bitter.

Q:  So how do we make you?
A:  Just like I am a rice or orzo dish....same ratio, 2 parts water to 1 part me.  I can be replaced for any dish with rice or orzo pasta, because I am gluten free.  Keep in mind that I have been told that I have a mildly nutty like flavor and once cooked increase to 4 times my size.  I can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner, even dessert!


Crispy Quinoa Cookies
  • 1/2 cup Honey
  • 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Butter
  • 1/2 cup Almond Butter
  • 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 1 cup Quinoa Flour
  • 3/4 cup Quinoa Flakes
  • 1 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped Walnuts
Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream together honey, brown sugar, butter, nut butter and vanilla.  Combine Quinoa Flour, Quinoa Flakes, Baking Soda and Salt in a small bowl. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture and beat until well blended. Add Nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet. Yields about 3 dozen small cookies.







No comments:

Post a Comment